5. Emirati Film Review
The Nahda Foundation, U–jazdowski Cinema and Kino Pod Baranami invite you to the fifth edition of the Emirati Film Review, a unique project that introduces Polish viewers to the developing cinematography of the United Arab Emirates. During the weekend we will screen the family drama Before We Forget, the disturbing black-and-white fairy tale Scales and the spectacular war film Al Kameen.
- The United Arab Emirates are mainly associated with oil, the investment boom, modern skyscrapers in Dubai and fantastic artificial island projects. It is worth remembering, however, that this relatively small country is also an important centre of Arab culture and young, emerging cinematography dating back to the turn of the 20th and 21st centuries, which has been promoted by the Dubai International Film Festival since 2004, and the Abu Dhabi Film Festival since 2007.
- Emirati Film Review is a unique project that allows Polish viewers to get acquainted with the growing cinematography of the United Arab Emirates.
- The programme of the 5th Emirati Film Review includes three diverse films. On Saturday it will open with Before We Forget by Nawaf Al Janahi, an intimate family story about the lives of three men who represent different generations. Focused on their differences for years, they get to know each other better during a long journey and discover what they really have in common. The director, Nawaf Al Janahi, who was a guest at the first edition of the review in 2016, now returns with his latest film and will take part in a discussion with the audience.
- The day before, on Friday, we will screen the Emirati-Saudi co-production Scales, awarded at the Venice Film Festival. The director, Shahad Ameen, tells the difficult story of a disobedient girl rebelling against everlasting tradition. The black-and-white, poetic work was inspired by the legend of Atargatis, an Assyrian goddess, also known as the first mermaid.
- On Sunday, the review will close with Al Kameen, a truly international production involving nearly 400 people representing 48 nationalities. The head of the team, French director Pierre Morel, made such action movie hits as Taken or District 13. His Al Kameen is a spectacular war film based on the true story of troops that were ambushed by heavily armed militants during a mission in Yemen.
- The event is organised under the honorary patronage of the Embassy of the United Arab Emirates in Poland.
- Nahda Foundation
- Kino Pod Baranami
- U–jazdowski Cinema
- Image Nation Abu Dhabi
- DKL Studio
- The Asia and Pacific Museum
- Institute of the Middle and Far East at Jagiellonian University
- Cultural Diplomacy
- Faculty of Political Science and International Studies at Warsaw University,
- Reactik Creative Economy & Culture International Link
- RMF Classic
- Honorary patronage:
- Embassy of the United Arab Emirates in Poland