residencies: October–December 2013, June 2014
Studio Umschichten (Germany)
- Studio Umschichten
- Devised by Peter Weigand and Lukasz Lendzinski the studio often appears in unexpected configurations of man, machine and brains.
- The Stuttgart-based collective of architects called Studio Umschichten explores the relationship between architecture and social space. They rearrange, precycle and reuse materials, space and people. During their two month long residency in Warsaw Umschichten are exploring the venue of their residency – the Ujazdowski Castle Centre for Contemporary Art and its architecture. The Distillate of the research will be served on the rocks in the summer of 2014. This exploration aims to discover the relationship between the physical and emotional space.
The primary focus will be not on the physical spatial boundaries, but rather on the narrative space and the stories behind its components. The memories of the storytellers and the perception of the observer will play a central role in this exploration. To illustrate this exploration beyond the classical methods of architecture analysis, Umschichten is collaborating with Tymek Jezierski. A phantasmagorical layer is added and the result ranges somewhere between the truth and fiction.
- Tymek Jezierski (born in 1983)
- lives and works in Warsaw. Draughtsman, illustrator and poster artist. His works appear regularly in numerous Polish periodicals. Co-author of a graphic novel about the Warsaw Uprising and author of the Chłodna 25 music concert posters. He also designs graphic works for apartments and commercial spaces (KissMyWall). Awarded in the Chimera competition for the cover of the magazine Architektura. Featured in Lürzer's Archive: 200 Best Illustrators Worldwide 09/10.
- Publication The Dark Side. The Castle Through the Eyes of Its Users and the Role of Architecture in the Conflict