film screening and discussion
Od–jazd Film Club meeting
Citizen Kane, directed by Orson Welles, USA 1941, 119
- Hailed as a masterpiece, this directorial debut made history becoming one of the most important and groundbreaking productions of all time.
- Right before his death, the famous and influential press magnate Charles Foster Kane (Orson Welles) utters his last word “Rosebud”, the meaning of which remains a mystery to everyone around him. A journalist decides to start an investigation that will lead him to the truth about Kane’s life and career and uncover the meaning of the mysterious “Rosebud”. However, as the investigation unfolds, solving the mystery becomes more complicated.
- Citizen Kane was ahead of its time. Its revolutionary nature does not only consist of superb direction and a rich set of cinematic means of artistic expression, but also a whole range of innovations from camera work and previously unused technologies, to pioneering narrative ideas and new ways of acting and directorial expression. At the same time, the film tells a poignant story about loneliness, the destructive nature of power, and the difficulty of knowing the human inner self.
- Why is Citizen Kane considered the best film in the history of cinema?
- Which of the director’s solutions were revolutionary?
- What is the mysterious “Rosebud”?
- We will try to answer these and many other questions together with our club’s expert Patrycja Mucha-Smolińska. We invite you to the screening and discussion, during which you will be able to ask questions and share your ideas on how to interpret the film. What do you think Citizen Kane is about? We want to hear your opinion!
- Patrycja Mucha-Smolińska
- born in 1991. Doctoral student at the Institute of Culture Sciences of the University of Silesia and film critic. Educator of the Skrytykuj! [Criticize!] action and New Horizons of Film Education. Collaborator at film festivals and author of the blog Filmowe odloty [Film Departures]. Awarded in the Krzysztof Mętrak Competition in 2019 and 2020. Author of a series of video essays on Polish cinema Na wyrywki [At random]. Together with Katarzyna Czajka-Kominiarczuk she hosts the podcast Wtem, piosenka [Suddenly, a song] about film musicals.